MISSION ACCOMPLISHED (Canal chub) – Blog entry 599

Click to play video. Includes: cold water chub fishing, robin feeding on maggots, chub/perch/bream on the bank, water temperature thoughts, be careful who you listen to, up close and personal with a wood mouse.

 

On January 1 2014 I began a journey that reached its destination 364 days later, as the year drew to an end. Some trips that we make are stressful, others painful; this one however can only be described in the positive. What am I referring to? Well, I have now completed my angling bucket-list and have fished some portion of every day for a calendar year. However, just because I have ticked the things-to-do-before-I-die-box, it doesn’t mean to say that I am now ready to depart this life. It just means I’ve achieved a personal goal, that’s all. Hopefully I’ve still got thousands of sessions ahead of me yet!

I caught more perch than chub
I caught more perch than chub

I decided to round the year off with a challenge. Well, let’s face it, when the air temperature is sub-zero, any sort of fishing is going to have an element of challenge attached to it. With short sessions once again on the agenda, I looked to the local canal. One way of looking at it was that 99% of the surface was covered with a lid of ice; the other side of the coin was that 1% was fishable. It meant I was limited to spots near locks, where the water movement ensured that I could at least get a bait in the water. And I’m a great believer in the truth that as long as your bait’s in the water you’ve got a chance.

Three species in the net, a mixed bag this week
Three species in the net, a mixed bag this week

The first two outings saw just one bite between them, which fortunately translated into a fish on the bank. I’ve caught bigger chub, but due to the conditions it certainly made me happy. With the water temperature rock-bottom, even a chub was very welcome under the circumstances. Although I believe that confidence is an important ingredient in angling, my feet are also firmly on the ground and I’m extremely realistic when it comes to expectations. So while one fish from two outings may be considered a failure for some, for me it was result. With the weather on stuck-mode as far as the conditions were concerned, I ventured out for a third outing.

Just the one chub this week
Just the one chub this week

I didn’t catch chub but I did bank a couple of perch, which avoided a blank. Of course, using worms it wasn’t a surprise really, and although the water temperature meant that the perch were pretty lethargic, I do intend to visit the same spot for them in the very near future. As they say, watch this space. But in the meantime I had a fourth and final session of the week planned to see if I could get a chevin or two on the bank.No chub, but I did net a bream and due to the continuing harsh conditions I was happy to catch anything in reality. Finally, have a great New Year and may it be fish-filled. (Published January 3 2015)